Dear MoveOn member,
When I partnered with MoveOn, Bernie Sanders, the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, and other progressive allies on a new Senate resolution calling for a public health insurance option, national headlines in Forbes, The Huffington Post, and elsewhere made it clear: the public option is back on the table.1,2
And when the resolution ballooned to 33 Senate cosponsors in less than 48 hours, the insurance lobby told their allies to attack us—and Republican Leader Mitch McConnell took to the Senate floor right away to do it.3,4,5
With the public option, progressives are going on the offense. We are changing the 2016 election debate and we’re inspiring voters. Will you sign and share my petition calling on the U.S. Senate to support the public option?
We can't back down. We must keep playing offense. Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, and President Obama endorse a public option. Now, with Senate allies and partner organizations, we're pushing the entire Democratic Party to make this a central 2016 issue.6
—Senator Jeff Merkley
1. "As Polls Tighten, Clinton's Senate Allies Push Bernie's Public Option," Forbes, September 18, 2016
2. "Senate Progressives, Activists Plan Big Public Option Push," The Huffington Post, September 15, 2016
3. "Merkley: 33 Senate Dems now back ObamaCare public option," The Hill, September 16, 2016
4. "Health Insurers Fire Volley In New Battle Over The Public Option," The Huffington Post, September 20, 2016
5. "Democratic liberals, moderates feud over public option," Politico, September 22, 2016
6. "As Polls Tighten, Clinton's Senate Allies Push Bernie's Public Option," Forbes, September 18, 2016
You're receiving this petition because we thought it might interest you. It was created on MoveOn.org, where anyone can start their own online petitions. You can start your own petition here.
Want to support our work? Senator Elizabeth Warren says, "I'm so enthusiastic about MoveOn's smart and targeted plan to hire a network of organizers in key battleground states to mobilize and train volunteers to knock on hundreds of thousands of doors. It's bold and ambitious—and exactly what is needed to help swing Senate races, resoundingly defeat Donald Trump, and give Democrats a fighting chance to take back the House." Will you chip in to help make it all possible?
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.