Dear MoveOn member,
The election is only 14 days away, and that means that things are coming down to the wire. MoveOn members all over the country are making millions of calls to encourage progressive voters to make it out to the polls. But the other side is hard at work as well.
All around the country, as people who actually appreciate democracy are urging citizens to vote, shadowy front groups are spreading a different message. They are trying to do everything in their power to confuse, intimidate, and discourage likely Democratic voters from making it to the polls.
That why we need to make sure we're keeping an eye out for voter intimidation and suppression around the country. Will you join our Voter Protection Squad and help us make sure every eligible voter is able to cast a ballot on or before November 4?
Here are some examples of tactics we've seen as part of past voter suppression efforts:
- Mailings trying to convince folks that they'll be ineligible to vote if they don't register again by some urgent deadline, even if they've been registered for years.1
- Signs, often targeting lower-income neighborhood and people of color, trying to scare folks from going to the polls.2
- Individual poll workers using their position of authority to disseminate false information about voting.3
As part of the Voter Protection Squad, you'll keep an eye out for these and other forms of voter suppression. We'll follow up on your tips and investigate each incident, bringing in our legal team if necessary.
Sign up today to join the squad and help protect everyone's right to cast a ballot on or before November 4!
Thanks for all you do,
–Maria, Erica, Joan, Manny, and the rest of the team
1. "Kochs now harassing voters in Illinois with registration mailers," Daily Kos, October 15, 2014
2. "'Voter Fraud' Billboards In Ohio Meant To Intimidate, Advocates Say (UPDATE)," The Huffington Post, October 12, 2012
3. "Topeka seniors shut out of primary by ID law, poll worker," The Topeka Capital-Journal, August 8, 2014
Want to support our work? Moveon Civic Action is entirely funded by our 8 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Start a monthly donation here or chip in a one-time donation here.
This email was sent to eddie alfaro on October 21, 2014. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.